Sheltering in the United States at a Glance:*
- About 7,000,000 animals enter shelters every year.
- Approximately 40% of shelter animals are killed.
- Roughly 30,000,000 acquire a new companion animal every year.
- 95% to 99% of shelter animals are healthy and treatable.
- Some shelters save 99% of the animals. A few save 100% of dogs and cats.
- About 9,000,000 people live in communities saving between 90% and 99% of dogs and cats in their shelters.
- Over 35,000,000 people live in communities saving at least 80% of dogs and cats in their shelters.
* courtesy of the No Kill Advocacy Center.